At Espai Tau Kids we consider that it is necessary to remind everyone, especially to the interested parents, some guidelines that you can follow at home with your children who stutter and you don´t know how to help them.
It is more than important that the child who stutters has a positive environment around him and that is the reason why we would like to give you some following tips:
Avoid correction when the child speaks.
- Avoid criticism, teasing, or punishment.
- Do not try to help him complete the word he wants to convey.
- Give him space and all the time he needs to talk.
- Do not make a scared face or show impatience when speaking.
- Stimulate and promote the climate of communication.
- Share and play non-directive games with the child.
- Tell stories to the child.
- Sing together!
- Recognize your problem and difficulty.
- Correct only in very specific cases, but in a positive way ALWAYS!
- Provide a relaxing atmosphere at home that encourages speech.
- Listen carefully to the child.
- Speaking slowly with the child can help him to speak in the same way.
We hope that these guidelines will serve you, for more information you can call or write us.
Keep in mind that children young or old, need your trust and always your support. Of course, it is important that you help your children from an early age and do not let them grow up without being able to help them with the most fundamental things, the acceptance of themselves and the acceptance of their relatives before others.
Finally, the help of a speech therapist who can teach your children methods to accept and manage their stuttering, is essential. The speech therapist is also responsible for informing the school so that in all the environments that surround the child there is joint support.
ESPAI TAU KIDS TEAM