How many times a day do you argue with your child? Is it impossible for you to listen to him? Does he constantly challenge you? Have you tried by all means to change his attitude? Do you constantly wonder why he acts like this?
Many times raising a child can become a constant battle. Sometimes the limits are not clear or have been set too late and our children have not incorporated them into their behavioral pattern. It’s time to change!
If we let these challenging behaviors persist over time they will only intensify and age does not play in our favor. We must stop and re-evaluate where we have failed or how we can change.
We hope our advices can help you.
- “To behave well” is a very broad expression and according to each family
we will appreciate that behaving well can be different things. That is why
we recommend that we specify with our children what it means to behave well.
- We must avoid physical punishment always. It is better to ignore the
behavior than to reprimand it violently since we are the example and the
role model for them.
- It is important to explain why they have a “punishment”. We cannot
punish them without explanation as we will not help them internalize what behavior has been negative and what not.
- Do not laugh at their behavior, or show indifference.
- Do not allow disrespect, insults and hitting.
- Always avoid comparisons, especially with siblings or equals. Each child
- Always reinforce positive behaviors clearly, even if we assume that it is
the right thing to do. It is important for them to see that good behavior
- Punishments must be immediate and consequential to the negative act
carried out. We cannot punish him in the same way for not getting up as
for disrespecting. It is important that they notice the differences.
- Show them that we love them and that our purpose is to help them.
ESPAI TAU KIDS TEAM