Self-esteem is a stage of life in which boys and girls experience physical and mental changes. It is a beautiful stage, but at the same time dangerous. It is the constant search for its own and differentiated identity. However, it is also a stage of constant comparison and search for belonging to a group of equals.
Some of the non-worrying, but workable manifestations that we observe in adolescents would be:
- The need to respond to the adult and ignore their advice.
- Avoid the figure of the adult, but at the same time look for him to “fight”.
- Incomprehensible emotional lability. From laughter to tears.
- From passivity to hyperactivity.
- Constant repetition: I get bored, overwhelmed, stressed….
- Not understanding limits and wanting to go beyond them.
- Unrealistic goals and disconnected from reality.
- They know everything and you know nothing.
- Experiment, take risks and try.
- Live connected and disconnected at the same time.
- Go with the trend or be against it.
- Seek belonging to a group of equals.
- Arguing for the sake of arguing.
Parents go from bewilderment to concern for their children. But we must know that certain aspects of this stage should be considered “normal”, since they are in a moment of effervescence. We must try to understand, accompany and support.
ESPAI TAU KIDS TEAM